Think of the infinite sources of clients that you are currently not accessing, such as where:
• the disputants who are too geographically distant from each other, or from you, to enable a meeting-based session to take place
• the value of the subject matter of the dispute is not sufficiently high as to justify the cost of a meeting-based session
• travel for face-to-face sessions is impossible, cost prohibitive, or a factor likely to rule out intervention
• the dispute includes trans-jurisdictional issues, making choice of law or court-decision enforcement difficult
• the parties are unwilling, or unable, to meet with each other face-to-face
• scheduling issues or party preferences make it difficult or impractical for parties to convene for face-to-face meetings
• a party or Neutral is ill, handicapped or disabled in a way challenging travel or convening a meeting-based session
• there are concerns regarding inter-party violence or intimidation which make convening in the same room a risky prospect
• parties have unsuccessfully participated in the past in e-Mediation and are not aware of An Olive Branch as the new state-of-the-art online method
• the dispute involves sensitivities between the parties that would be at risk of exacerbation by a meeting.
And in case you need more convincing as to why you should join An Olive Branch now:
1. For those Lawyers among you, you are often inappropriate or disproportionate intervention for a particular type of dispute or stage. For example:
– a letter from you, regardless of how conciliatory and well crafted, is seen as a 'lawyer’s letter' and may enflame tensions and conflict, not diffuse them;
– ADR/ODR practitioners are not currently permitted to assist parties resolve a dispute on the unilateral request of one party, with the result that the disputant, or his/her employer, has no recognised professional to consult......other than using An Olive Branch.
…..and the reputational and marketing benefits for lawyers include:
– attracting new personal and business clients who do not have a need or preference for traditional legal / adversarial dispute resolution services
– being able to provide a new ‘amicable’ legal service, allowing clients to consult you at any stage of an internal or external dispute process or lawsuit in the knowledge that your involvement as An Olive Branch Member will now automatically be, and be seen to be, constructive and conciliatory for the benefit of all concerned or affected, rather than as an adversarial representative of one side only;
2. As a Member, you will benefit from the promotional and branding activities of An Olive Branch by being a member of an international association (in contrast to your current sole practitioner and/or geographical-specific status);
3. An online presence for your practice, complementing any you may already have, with advertising on An Olive Branch securing greater results with search engines.